Friday, May 6, 2016

Friday Bookish Post - 6 May 2016

    

Thanks to Freda from "Freda's Voice" and Gilion at "Rose City Reader" for hosting these bookish link-up!  Click one of the buttons to go to the link-up page.



This captivating, breakout novel—told in alternating viewpoints—brings readers from the skies of World War II to the present day, where a woman is prepared to tell her secrets at last.

Estranged from her family since just after World War II, Mary Browning has spent her entire adult life hiding from her past. Now eighty-seven years old and a widow, she is still haunted by secrets and fading memories of the family she left behind. Her one outlet is the writing group she’s presided over for a decade, though she’s never written a word herself. When a new member walks in—a fifteen-year-old girl who reminds her so much of her beloved sister Sarah—Mary is certain fate delivered Elyse Strickler to her for a reason.

Mary hires the serious-eyed teenager to type her story about a daring female pilot who, during World War II, left home for the sky and gambled everything for her dreams—including her own identity.

As they begin to unravel the web of Mary’s past, Mary and Elyse form an unlikely friendship. Together they discover it’s never too late for second chances and that sometimes forgiveness is all it takes for life to take flight in the most unexpected ways.


BOOK BEGINNINGS

"It was my eighty-seventh birthday when my sister Sarah walked into the meeting room of the Carnegie Library.  Somehow she was still a young girl of about fifteen, with pale blond hair in a single braid down her back, just as she'd been when she scrambled up the climbing tree in the backyard and tossed apples to me on the ground down below.  Of course, I knew it couldn't actually be my sister.  Perhaps the Sarah-sighting was yet another side effect of again.  After all, the older I've become, the more everyone I come across reminds me of someone I once loved.  I had no inkling that the girl with the braid might change everything."

FRIDAY 56

"Who's the blond cartoon character?" I asked, pointing to the patch sewn onto the shoulder - of a little gremlin girl with the blue wings and big, red boots.
"Fifinella, the patron saint of the fly girls.  And she's not blond, my dear; that's her golden helmet.  Go ahead, try it on," she added, holding out the jacket.
I hesitated for just a second and then allowed her to slip it over my shoulders.  I pushed my arms into the sleeves.  The jacket fit perfectly."
~~~oOo~~~


Book Blogger Hop 

Thanks to Billy B at the "Coffee Addicted Writer" and Ramona at "Create With Joy" for hosting these link-ups!  Click on the buttons above to go to their blogs.

BOOK BLOGGER HOP

Thanks to Elizabeth at Silver's Reviews for this question of the week:

Why did you start your blog?

Shortly after my daughter was born in 2003, I found a site online called "Maya's Mom".  It was a hang-out for moms of all ages, with kids of all ages.  It was a special place, and I made a lot of internet friends.  A couple of years down the road, Maya's Mom was sold to "BabyCenter".  Aside from the change in focus away from including older children, the place did not have the same spirit.  So, the time I had put into schmoozing there had to go somewhere.  So I started a blog.  At first it was a mommy blog.  Now I mostly review/promote books.

~~~oOo~~~

Also sharing with:

   

Thanks to Ramona at Create With Joy and Janice at Mostly Blogging for these fun link-ups!  Click on the button to visit the sites to join in!  The more the merrier...really! :O)

30 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I have added it to my TBR list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cover very much. And it is true about aging. People start to remind you of others. I'd love for you to visit me... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsBTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa, I don't think I've experienced that yet, so does that mean I'm not old? *lol*

      Delete
  3. The Secrets of Flight sounds really interesting and hadn't heard of it before. The beginning grabbed my attention -- I'll have to remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about halfway through, Whitney, and it still grabs me. :O)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like an amazing book! I love historical fiction. Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi LuAnn!
    Thank you so much for the link into my site, the exposure, and the promotion!
    I am getting traffic from your site today! Exciting! Thanks for your thoughtfulness.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Janice! Thanks for your visit and comment! Am trying to remember to leave the site from a different page. Am at about 50% I think.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow. I can already tell that I'd like this one. Thanks for sharing this wonderful book!

    My Friday 56 from Assassin's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it when women accomplish things that are supposed to be out of their reach, Laura. Ha! :O)

      Delete
  7. I love that beginning. I imagine her sister must have passed. Sounds like a great read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Freda! I think Miri/Mary's family disowned her back in the day. I have an idea about her sister, but I don't want to say it before I read the whole book, to see if I'm right. :O)

      Delete
  8. I started my blog to talk about books too. :)

    Such fun, and bloggers are the best.

    THE SECRETS OF FLIGHT was an enjoyable book for me.

    Have a good weekend, and Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I'd like to win the lottery just so I could go around the world and visit all the wonderful bloggers I have met!

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't that be lovely?

      If you can make it to the BEA, you can meet bloggers there. Such fun.

      Delete
  9. So glad to come across your blog. Sounds like a lovely book :) Thanks a lot for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sounds of this book- and especially Fifinella... Funny, I had started my blog because (largely) too many people say you are supposed to, but I think I finally got into as an escape from parenting (my daughter is 2, and I work from home, so it's extra nice to participate in adult interactions that are not inherently child-centric)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you there. We homeschool, so 3 kids are around me 24/7. And I have 'blog time' where I don't have to talk about video games or Littlest Pet Shop. ;)

      Delete
  11. I love the beginning! This sounds like an interesting book, thanks for sharing! Thanks, also, for visiting my blog! Hope you enjoy the weekend! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kim. I just finished reading it a little while ago and it's heart-warming. :O)

      Delete
  12. I almost went with a historical fiction theme for my TBR poll this week and The Secrets of Flight would have been on it. :-) I'm anxious to read that one.

    I hadn't known about the origins of BabyCenter! I wish I had been around to be a part of Maya's Mom. Sounds like it was a great place.

    I hope you have a great week! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think BabyCenter was already going and just kind of 'absorbed' Maya's Mom. There's even a group on FB for Maya's Mom alums. :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. I am glad you started your blog. I am sure you have others to share your interests.
    Sportochick’s Musings Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Teri! Anybody who likes book is a friend of mine! ;)

      Delete
  14. That is a great answer for the blog hop and this book looks and sounds really amazing! Thank you for stopping by my blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always been interested in this WWII topic - I'll have to add this to my tbr. :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi LuAnn,
    Great to see you here at the Blogger's Pit Stop!
    Why did I start my blog? My daughter and I saw Julie and Julia, a movie about a blogger. I was inspired!
    Janice

    ReplyDelete