Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Hack with This! - #septemberchallenge #NaBloPoMo

NaBloPoMo 
September 2015  Everyday Gyaan

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Point us toward your favourite lifehack on the Web.

~~~oOo~~~

Lifehack - Informal: a tip, trick, or efficient method for doing or managing a day-to-day task or activity; a hack: a lifehack overcoming social anxiety; a computer programmer's best lifehacks.

lifehack. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged. Retrieved September 22, 2015, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lifehack

~~~oOo~~~

I have mixed feelings about 'lifehacks'.

On the one hand, do they actually exist?  For example.  I copy/pasted the above definition from dictionary.com.  There was SO MUCH CODING in the definition that changed the margins, text size, text color, etc, etc, etc.  That might save time, if you were trying to fit the definition into a blog post with the same style of text display.  I was not.  I was trying to fit it into this blog.

So I went into the "html" side of the blog post and deleted all the opening and closing "span" tags in those two lines of definition up there.  There was at least 10x (TEN TIMES) the number of lines that I deleted than I left in!  Where's the efficiency in THAT?  *sheesh*

On the other hand, who doesn't like a more efficient way of doing things, especially things that we don't normally like to do but that we have to do anyway.  Like laundry, vacuuming (steps especially), as well as other household chores and errands.

And I have an issue with the very term 'lifehack'.  It's a buzzword and I don't like buzzwords.  And I'm having trouble getting over the negative connotations of the "hack" part.  For the last number of years, 'hacking' has meant someone breaking into someone else's computer or program and messing things up somehow.  Do hackers hack because they can?  Because they think they're better than someone?  Everyone?  Because of the challenge?

That being said, there is one site I have gone to a number of times in my attempts to homestead on our house and yard:  the One Hundred Dollars a Month blog of Mavis Butterfield.  Specifically, to the "Tips and Tricks" section, accessible from the right sidebar.  I found the site by searching for how to make your own laundry soap.  As a result of that one visit, I subscribed to her blog and stalked followed her social media.  If DIY isn't your thing, there are plenty of great recipes and links to deals around the internet.

While writing this post, I came across a site called Lifehack.org.  There are scads (and scads) of articles, written by 'guest contributors', on just about every topic under the sun.  Most of the articles seem to be of a "x ways to ...." style.  I have not thoroughly investigated the site, but it looks promising.  And it had today's 'buzzword' in the site title. :O)

~~~oOo~~~

Is there a website (or sites) which you frequent to find way to make you life easier to manage?  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment