Friday, July 18, 2014

Friday 56: Gold-Diggers, Gambers and Guns


"The Friday 56" is hosted at Freda's Voice.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
>*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.


\

As I turned to go upstairs, I heard a slight tapping on the window, almost a clawing noise 
.
Nervously, I peered through curtains, and sucked in my breath: On the front porch stood Agent Burton, bruised and battered, a black eye starting to darken, his suit disheveled and torn.
~~~oOo~~~

Sound interesting?  Do you speak 'flapper'?  There will be a review of "Gold-Diggers, Gamblers and Guns" on my blog on Monday, as part of a tour set up by Great Escapes Virtual Book Tours and you're all invited back! :O)

Also sharing with:

8 comments:

  1. I speak flapper! I love books set in the 20s. I will definitely have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Katherine! Once I took the Rosetta Stone course in flapper (at the back of the book), I did just fine! :O)

      Delete
  2. I have to wonder what happened to him.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's the lone Prohibition agent in Galveston, Freda. Burton is either brave, or crazy...or maybe both! ;)

      Delete
  3. What happened to Burton? Should I feel sorry for him or did he deserve it :P

    My BB and 56 :) 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Fiza, I'd probably go with the feeling sorry for him side of things. :O)

      Delete
    2. Fiza, you'll have to read the book to find out! If you want more background on Burton, it's in the first novel, FLAPPERS. Then you'll find out why he's so motivated, despite the odds against him. Enjoy! Ellen

      Delete
  4. What a fun idea! So glad you're enjoying the book...Katherine, if you really want to speak flapper, you'll get the most impact by reading the Jazz Age series in order, starting with FLAPPERS, FLASKS AND FOUL PLAY, followed by BATHING BEAUTIES, BOOZE AND BULLETS. (Please enter the giveaway for a copy!)
    Look forward to your review, LuAnn. Enjoy--thanks! Ellen

    ReplyDelete