Saturday, March 2, 2013

25 Questions to Ask Your Grandparents


If you want to start (or are in the middle of) gathering family stories and family history, it helps to talk to older relatives.  In case you don't already have questions in mind, I compiled a short (and by no means comprehensive) list that you can modify to suit your needs.  It's good to already have a list of questions prepared before you speak with your grandparents, aunts & uncles, great-grandparents, etc.

1.  What is you earliest memory?

2.  How many siblings do you have?

3.  Can you tell me about your mother?

4.  Can you tell me about your father?

5.  What was your schooling like?

6.  What pet/s did you have growing up?

7.  What is your favorite color?

8.  What's the farthest away from home you've ever traveled?

9.  How did you meet grandpa/ma?

10.  Do you keep a journal?

11.  What was your favorite present you've received?

12.  What was your favorite present that you've given?

13.  How do you keep in touch with friends from your younger days?

14.  What's the bravest thing you ever did?

15.  What do you feel most proud of in your life?

16.  What do you feel least proud of in your life?

17.  What is your favorite food?

18.  What was going to church like when you were younger?

19.  What is the most important lesson you've learned?

20.  What's on your bucket list?

21.  What was dating like when you were younger?

22.  What is your favorite book?

23.  Can you tell me a funny story about my mother/father growing up?

24.  How did you use your talents?

25.  How can I help you?

I'd be thrilled if you would share a question you would like to ask one of your ancestors, so the list will keep growing!  Thanks and have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. This is a lovely list and also include your parents, aunts and uncles in your questioning. It was too late for me to ask these questions of my Grandparents, but my mother did supply a lot of information. Much of this is included in my book "Rescue the Stories, Book One."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! These kind of stories that our grandparents tell are priceless. Pinning!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carrie! Not sure my blogged has been pinned before by anyone except me! *doing a little happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this list of questions. My children don't get to see my husbands's parents that often. I think this would be a great way to break the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your visit and comment, Brandi! Things have changed so much just in our own lifetimes, that kids have a hard time understanding the struggles of past generations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What were your chores?
    What did you do for recreation?
    How was parenting my mother or father different than parenting today?

    Those are a few I have. I loved hearing stories from my grandmother. She kept a journal of all the funny or moving stories her children and grandchildren said as they were little and growing and then made copies and shared them. It was moving and such a blessing that someone took the time to cherish the memories.

    Irish of Dedicated 2 Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent ideas, Irish! I'm adding them to my official list. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these and am planning to use them to give my kiddos ideas of questions to ask when sending letters to my parents and grandma! (I thought a pen pal-like letter exchange would be fun for everyone.)
    I'm also adding:
    What's the yuckiest thing you've ever eaten?
    What's the very best thing about being a grandma/pa?
    Tell me the best joke or prank you've ever played.
    Tell me about a time when it was really tough, but you stood up for something you believe in.
    What's the best change that's come about in the world since you were a kid?

    Thank you for the starter questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your additions, Em (EM, E.M. - just to let you know how I came by that name). I think this has been my most popular post ever. I may have to make an updated list for the "Blog Ahead Challenge" where it will be my goal to have a month worth of posts for November and after ready before November starts. ;)

      Delete